The This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours Book Tag

Hello everybody!

There’s nothing like a good ol’ tag to warm the heart! Or so goes the saying. 😀 Today, we were kindly tagged by The Orang-Utan Librarian to dive into the This-Is-My-Genre-Tell-Me-Yours Book tag! This quick and easy (who am I freaking kidding) tag is all about sharing that one (two? 😀 :D) genre that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in the inside. So, without wasting any more of your precious time, here we go!

The Rules:

• Credit the bad bad  Drew @ TheTattooedBookGeek as the creator of the tag, use the created tag name graphic and link back to his blog.
  • Answer the questions.
  • Tag as many people as you want.
  • No long list, simple really!

1. What’s your favourite genre?

Lashaan: The Orang-Utan Librarian did us the courtesy of talking about classics, a “type of genre” that I also would have put at the top of the list ANYDAY, EVERYDAY. However, in order to shed more lights on the unknown or on the frightening genres out there, I’m going to put forth one of my favourite genres today: COMIC BOOKS! This category has been crawling out of the shadows for the past couple of years, and is simply a playground that everyone should give a try some day!

Image result for comic books gif

Trang: I CAN’T PICK ONE. I’M GOING TO SAY FANTASY & PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLERS!!

Image result for big smile gif

2. Who’s your favourite author from the genre?

Lashaan: Probably one of the hardest questions that can be asked to any book loving human! I’m going to go ahead and name a comic book writer, also a legend—to some extent—that is, Alan Moore!

Image result for alan moore

Scary-looking fellow, isn’t he?

Trang: JK ROWLING, Leigh Bardugo and Chuck Palahniuk!

Image result for big smile gif

Oh, you meant ONE favourite? OOPS HIHIH

3. What is it about the genre that keeps pulling you back?

Lashaan: Just like anything you love, it’s the high. The amount of pleasure that you just gain from sharing a moment with the things you love can simply hook you to their presence forever. The medium gives writers a whole new way of telling stories that just captures your attention from one panel to the other. You know what they say about pictures after all. They are worth a thousand words. Imagine the possibilities!

Image result for comic books gif

Trang: The magic in Fantasy and it brings me hope to know there are other extraordinary things out there. And Psychological thrillers, it’s the opposite. Shows the worst in humans.

Image result for devil and angel gif

4. What’s the book that started your love for your favourite genre?

Lashaan: This is not easy since my love for comic books was sort of intermittent. In fact, I started reading comics at a very young age by picking up absolutely anything from unknown authors to Garfield. I then later was drawn into the world of mangas and animes. At that time, I was captivated by Dragon Ball, Detective Conan, Death Note and so many more… It’s only a couple years ago that I was truly entranced by the genre and dove into the superhero world of comics. That’s where The Killing Joke just amplified my love for the genre by.. I don’t know.. a gazillion?

Image result for the killing joke

You can find my review of this by clicking here! SMILE! 😀

Trang: Fantasy: HARRY POTTER OF COURSE! Psychological thrillers: Invisible Monsters

430569 411321

5. If you had to recommend at least one book from your favourite genre to a non-reader/someone looking to start reading that genre, what book would you choose and why?

Lashaan: This is quite hard. Not every comic book is for everyone. Some of them are really mentally heavy, others are simple but hilarious. I’d always tell people about The Killing Joke since its hard to truly hate it: Batman is awesome, Joker is just as fascinating, it’s quite fun and short and, come on, it’s Batman. The title I would honestly tell people to try is Watchmen however. It has a lot of text, but the ingeniousness behind it is just mind-blowing. If this newbie is looking for something much lighter, I would truly recommend putting some time into doing some research. There’s SO MANY amazing comic books out there that will just about fit to any personality. You just have to dig! 😀

Image result for watchmen

Isn’t that soooo iconic for Watchmen? 😀

Trang: Definitely Harry Potter and Six of CrowsSix of Crows.

430569 23437156

6). Why do you read?

Lashaan: Two reasons. 1) To escape reality. 2) To find the answers to questions I did not know I was looking for.

Trang: BECAUSE WORDS ARE BEAUTIFULL

Image result for books are magical gif

TAG, YOU’RE IT !

1. Karina @ Karina Pinella

2. Beth @ Reading Every Night

3. Aila @ One Way Or An Author

4. Jasmine @ How Useful It Is

5. Bookstooge @ BookstoogeBookstooge

6. Kat @ Life and Other Disasters

7. Anne @ I’ve Read This

8. Kim @ By Hook Or By Book

9. J.J. Azar @ J.J. Azar

10. Ellie @ Blogging for Dopamine

As always, if you’ve done this already, don’t have time to do it or don’t feel like doing it, it’s all good. 😉

thisismtgenrenrwlogo

We’d also like to tag every single person who reads is reading this very sentence!

You don’t have to do a post for it, but share your favourite genre in the comment section below! We’d love to see what you love most! 😀

YOURS TRULY,

LASHAAN & TRANG

52 thoughts on “The This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours Book Tag

1. Reg @ She Latitude says:

Great answers, Lashaan and Trang! I very recently started getting into comics (well, OK, graphic novels for now – are they different?) but haven’t picked up the big-name ones yet. 😛

And fantasy is probably my favourite genre, but this changes all the time. Sometimes I feel more like a contemporary, sometimes more scifi, sometimes more mystery… 😂

• Transhaan says:

Thank you! Ohhh yes, graphic novels are definitely part of comics. They just aren’t trade paperbacks, where it’s a collection of comic issues. Graphic novels are basically a one-short story. I’m really glad to hear that you’ve invested some time into them! They’re SOOO worth it! 😛

I totally understand the shifting in favourite genres. It’s all about that mood! 😀

– Lashaan

• Transhaan says:

Thank you so much!! In all honesty, comic books are way more than what people think they are. They aren’t just filled with jokes that you read once and put away (okay.. there might be some that are made just for those purposes though). Comic book give writers and artists to come together and create pretty amazing stories told through a unique medium. You should definitely check them out. Death Note is an AMAZING place to start. I like to think of it more of a series that belongs to the manga sub-category, but it’s definitely a comic book. Hope you do enjoy it when you get around to it! 😀

– Lashaan

2. thebookfaeryblog says:

I never thought that comic books would be something that I’d be interested in, but you’ve convinced me to give them a try! I would have to say that my favorite genre(s) are fantasy and dystopian! Those two genres just pull me in every time. 🙂

• Transhaan says:

Oh man, this DEFINITELY makes me really happy. I’m telling you. There’s a story out there that will make you fall in love with comic books!

I totally see how fantasy and dystopias hook you. In the right hands, the worlds the author builds are just so amazinnnng! 😀

– Lashaan

3. JJAzar says:

Comic books do seem a playground, but I have yet to explore them at all! The Killing Joke has long intrigued me. Great post! And thank you for the tag as well! It may be a few weeks before I tackle it, but I will 100%.

4. Donna says:

I love Drew’s tag 😀 great answers! I love psychological thrillers. With them, you meet monsters that look just like your neighbors xD I’ve always been intimidated by comic books and then became an adult (or so my ID says) and I never dared ask for recommendations to give the genre a try.

• Transhaan says:

Bahahahh I’m not sure if that’s a very comforting thing. I’d end up being quite paranoid around them 😛 You totally have to try a comic book out of curiosity. There’s so many stories told out there and probably something that you’ll enjoy as well!

– Lashaan

5. Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Thanks so much for the tag! I can’t wait to get started on this one; basically any excuse to talk about my favourite genre is something I welcome because I just love talking about books so much! 😀
    Also I’m not sure how either of you managed to narrow your favourite author down to just one person (or three in Trang’s case). I don’t think I could possibly do that, I have way too many favourites! 🙂
    Thanks again for the tag!

• Transhaan says:

No problemoo! 😀 😀 Glad you’re going to enjoy doing this. I had to stop at one author, otherwise I would’ve ended up giving an author for each genre within comic books. It would’ve been prettttyyyyy chaotic! 😛

– Lashaan

6. theorangutanlibrarian says:

Ooh love love love your answers!!
    Lashaan- I actually can’t get into comics- but I love the ideas and the stories and the characters- might have to give it another go one day! Especially after how you described it!!!
    haha Trang- I also struggled with picking one genre- and one author- I mean who has just one?!?! Ooh yes- I never thought about fantasy and thrillers in that way before- but you’re right they do explore two completely opposite sides of humanity!
    Ahh love both your reasons for why you read!!! Such perfect answers!!!

7. healed1337 says:

1 – Fantasy/Science Fiction. I tend to like both equally, although I read fantasy more often.
    2 – At the moment, Ilona Andrews is my favourite fantasy author.
    3 – There’s just so much variety – so much you can do with the fantasy and science fiction genres. You can have pretty much any kind of story within them, whether it’s an intense thriller with futuristic technology, or even a drama within an alternate world where dragons and humans are friends.
    4 – Actually it wasn’t a book that made me fall in love with either genre. it was Star Wars that made me fall in love with both, even if I didn’t realize it was more fantasy than science fiction at the time. I was 9 or 10 at the most. It’s not like I understood the complexity of fiction genres, sub-genres and storytelling dynamics.
    5 – What I would recommend would depend on their age. If they’re an adult, then for fantasy I would recommend Magic Burns. It’s about a magic wielding mercenary in a semi-post apocalyptic world. It’s delightfully weird, and although it’s the second book in the series, it’s probably the best starting point. The first two are mostly one-off stories anyway. For younger people, Harry Potter. For science fiction, I’d probably recommend Aphrodite IX and it’s follow up comic series, IXth Generation. it’s a comic series taking place in a future where the world is divided between cyborgs and genetically altered humans, and they’re at war with each other. It’s surprisingly deep. That or I’d recommend a movie, because I haven’t actually read any pure science fiction books yet.

• Transhaan says:

Thank you so much for sharing your favourite genres! I have to admit that fantasy and science fiction give way to INFINITE options that could pretty much cover all the other genres in it as well. I actually haven’t went through many of those yet, but man do I have billions of them in my TBR. I really can’t wait to dive into them. Everytime I did read a fantasy or science fiction novel, I always ended up adoring the universe and the complexity of the world-building. I also often hear about Star Wars contribution to SO MANY people’s love for books/movies/fantasy/science fiction, it’s crazy! I’ve watched the original trilogy and I can see how it might have blown away the minds of many. Originality and creativity all packed into one name: Star Wars! Thanks for the recommendations as well. They really sound interesting!

– Lashaan

8. Zezee says:

Great one there!
    Lashaan, I love that you chose to focus on comics and the fact that you recommended the Watchmen makes me want to read it early next year. Everyone I know who loves comics said it’s fantastic and your mention of it was about the 5th or 6th time it was recommended to me in the past 2 weeks. That’s obviously a sign. Also, I’m considering to read more superhero comics after reading Superman: Red Son. I loved it!
    Trang, fantasy all the way definitely! I love your reasons for why you enjoy reading fantasy and psychological thrillers: a bit of optimism and a splash of reality it seems.

Also, I think Alan Moore is secretly a wizard.

• Transhaan says:

I’m quite happy to hear your experience with Red Son was so good. It would have been a bummer otherwise! Now that you saw how amazing comics can be, you’ll have so much fun discovering all the amazing stories that are yet to be unveiled to you! Watchmen is DEFINITELY one of those must-reads. You’ve already got the complete Maus too! 😛 You should try out V for Vendetta by Alan Moore as well (if you’ve seen the movie and enjoyed it, you’ll appreciate the source material even more!). Hope your adventures in the comic world will be filled with awesomeness! 😛

P.S. I thought the same about Moore. No other way he managed to conjure so many amazing comics for the world to drool about!

– Lashaan

9. Jess @ JBelkBooks says:

This is such an interesting tag that I haven’t seen before! I love your responses for the reasons for why you guys read — it was so true xD I don’t read much fantasy…or comics for that matter, but I definitely found your responses to be relatable — great post!! 😀

-Jess @jbelkbooks