Free Comic Book Day 2017 Haul

Hello beautiful people!

As some of you might know, yesterday was Free Comic Book Day!!! This event occurs on the first Saturday of May and is one that no comic book fan should miss out on! Having attended this event for three years straight, I know that #FCBD2017 is the day where I clean up my wallet and let go of all the green that inhabited it. πŸ˜€ Check out the cute and awesome video below to understand how AMAZING this day is. Who would actually say no to a day where you can get your hands on some free comics, introduces them to youngsters and share a passion for an industry that only growing with every year that goes by?!

Today, we wanted to share with you our comic book haul and tell you to mark your calendars for all the years to come for an event that will bring joy to any person on a sad day! πŸ˜€

Trang’s FCBD Comic HaulΒ

18360651_10155508330452780_722586511_n

I could get any free comic book day issues I wanted, but I only picked up Wonder Woman, Grimm Fairytales and some previews from Marvel πŸ˜€

There was a 50% off sale on paperbacks in one of my local store ! So I got Saga Vol.5, Sandman Vol.4 and the newest edition of Sandman Overture! As you can see, I might love Neil Gaiman a little …too much LOL I’m actually reading Norse Mythology right now.

Lashaan’s FCBD Comic Haul

I only had the right to pick up 3 FCBD comics and that’s all I really needed anyways! πŸ˜€ I picked up Wonder Woman #1 by Greg Rucka, Secret Empire #0 by Nick Spencer and I Hate Image by Skottie Young. Honestly, these are three issues I would’ve recommended anyone to pick up too!

Wonder Woman #1 is fast-paced introduction to both Steve Trevor and Diana Prince. It essentially gives you a side-by-side comparison of both of their separate lives; but their faith will cross paths much sooner than you’d think.

Secret Empire #0 is more of a prequel or teaser to the big Marvel event that is about to unfold. In all honesty, this issue was mad amazing. Both artwork and writing was on point. Secret Empire is where one of Marvel’s greatest hero turns rogue and chaos follows. It also includes Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky. A very light and humour-filled story featuring Spidy and Vulture. Loads and loads of pop culture references to please the kids in this one.

I Hate Image is a spin-off of I Hate Fairyland. This is brutal and fun; exactly what I Hate Fairyland is. Maybe you’ve guessed from the title, but this issue makes a bunch of references to all the major titles that Image Comics have under their belt. If you haven’t checked out I Hate Fairyland, you should go do that now (that includes me hihih). πŸ˜€

It was not long ago when I discovered Batman: Night Cries by Archie Goodwin a unique Batman story that tackled a sensitive subject and wasn’t part of the canon story. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I found it in the sales section, 2 for 1 (the other being the book right under). Check out the blurb:

BATMAN: NIGHT CRIES uses the comic book medium to shed light on the horrific real world-crime of child abuse. When a series of crimes involving child abuse shocks the citizens of Gotham City, Batman and Commissioner Gordon embark on a quest to find the immoral perpetrator. But when Batman is accused of being the enraged killer of the child abuser, it is up to a young battered girl to come forth and clear his name. Treating this issue with the true severity that it demands, this book also includes a subplot in which Commissioner Gordon must come to terms with the abuse of his past and break its vicious cycle.

It’s insane what kind of gems you can find out there! I’m so glad to have found this hardcover Batman: Ego and Other Tails by the great Darwyn Cooke. Collecting most, if not all of Cooke’s best work. What a big win! πŸ˜€

As part of the comic book shop sale, they also let you pick up a couple of free single issues, depending on how much you spent. I got soooo lucky to find issues #1 to 7 of Sandman Mystery Theatre by Matt Wagner. No, this is not the Sandman by Neil Gaiman, but it is a series that was pretty well-appreciated among the community! Check out its blurb:

In this noir detective tale of intrigue, bigotry and incest, millionaire Wesley Dodds takes on the costumed persona of the Sandman to catch a sadistic killer in 1930s New York. Donning a gas mask, fedora, business suit and cape, Dodds goes after the Tarantula, a brutal kidnapper who is mercilessly preying upon the women of high society. But as the Sandman walks through a world of corruption and deceit, he uncovers the true secret of the murders and their implausible connection to the city’s most prominent family. SUGGESTED FOR MATURE READERS.

These three were in my pull-list and I just picked them up on the same day as FCBD! Super excited to see how this huge DC event (The Button) featuring both Batman and Flash is going to fare. Can’t wait. I also heard good things about issue #955 of Batman: Detective Comics. Hopefully, Disappointment went on vacation. I just want to meet Success. πŸ™‚

There was also a sale on back issues and since I’m currently collecting every issue in the Batman New 52 run by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, I couldn’t skip on the opportunity to pick up this crucial issue in one of the biggest event in the story, Endgame. Just look at that beautiful cover art too. Joker at his best. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are AMAZING πŸ˜‰

I also ended up receiving this epic poster, featuring the one and only, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman! WHO ISN’T EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE?!?! SAY IT WITH ME! DC! DC! DC! DC! πŸ˜€ A little bit of promo isn’t so bad right? πŸ˜‰

The event does not mean that everything in store is free. Essentially, every comic book shop has their own sale going on, but they all have a certain limited amount of FCBD edition comics that they leave out for people to pick up (usually set a limit per individual as well). These comics give you a glimpse into certain series and build up hype on other things too!

What do you think about our hauls? Did you visit your local comic book shop for some awesome comics? What did you get? πŸ˜€

lashaansignature

Instagram – Facebook – Goodreads – Twitter

trangsignature

Instagram – Facebook – Goodreads – Twitter

43 thoughts on “Free Comic Book Day 2017 Haul

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Hahah I did see your post about them! And man, they really were! I’d totally love to read the ones I couldn’t pick up just to see some variety in artwork style! πŸ˜€ I don’t think I would’ve picked up Star Trek TNG though; I haven’t watched or read anything related to Star Trek in my life. :O I might have to rectify that over the summer though!

Might I also add that you deserve a standing ovation for making FCBD happen at your library?! I know I would’ve totally appreciated that! πŸ˜€

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Aww maan, that stinks. It was really cloudy here; by the time I got home after visiting the shop, it started pouring dogs and cats! I’m glad it wasn’t the other way around.. I feel like I would’ve missed out on some good stuff. Hopefully next year we’ll have better weather to kick off FCBD. Did you get anything when you got there? Or did ya control your urges? πŸ˜›

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thanks! Hahahh it’s not the biggest event in the world too though. Comiccon (the convention) is probably the one that most people know about, but this FCBD event is mostly known through rumors/people who occasionally already visit their comic stores. It’s definitely a fun family activity to check out every year though! πŸ˜€

1. elliempatten says:

Nice haul, both of you! I got the I Hate Image, Wonder Woman, Secret Empire and Guardians of the Galaxy comic books πŸ™‚ I reeeeally wanted the Star Trek: TNG one, but my local store didn’t have any. I think I’ve got a good selection anyway.
    Free comic book day is such a cool event.

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Oh thank you! I would’ve picked up GotG too if I had the right to pick a 4th comic. πŸ˜› The one I went too had sooo many to pick from, but I already knew what I really wanted and I got them! The Wonder Woman one was the last one they had too! It was like.. destiny. ❀ You definitely got an epic selection. πŸ˜› Did you pick up anything else alongside those free comics? πŸ˜€ 100% agree. FCBD is awesome!

• elliempatten says:

Yeah, I think my local store was pretty generous to let me take four ☺️
        Aaah that’s so lucky! Must have been fate.
        I really wanted to, but I’d just spent a lot of money on books, and I have a couple of volumes of Saga, The Guild, and Rat Queens to get through. So I had to exercise a lot of restraint to walk away this time. But I’ll be back πŸ˜›

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Hahahha thanks Donna! It’s definitely a fun activity to check out just for the joyous atmosphere. It also introduces to so many kids the wonders of comics, something that newer generations are probably going to grow fond of with all these comic book related movies/shows out there. Maybe someday you’ll give a good Noir-style thriller graphic novel a shot. It might greatly surprise you, in a good way. πŸ˜›

2. Kat Impossible says:

Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday here, so a week later basically. I am not too pumped about the free issues, but it’s still such a cool event to connect with some fellow fans. At least my comic book store is always packed on those days hahaha

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Ohhh sweeeet! I didn’t know they can postpone that. Thought it was a sacred day (the first Saturday of May) hahahah πŸ˜€ Do you plan on visiting your comic book store though? They usually always have a store-wide deal going on too. Although… you already know how dangerous them stores are on your bank account. Will Kat be able to control her urges. Stay tuned till next time. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Kat Impossible says:

I guess the publishers in the different countries do it on different days? Our Marvel and DC days also differ from other places from what I’ve heard.
        Hahaha I consider myself broke, because I am saving all my money for my Canada trip. I think or at least hope that I can control myself for the remaining week …

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Ahhh snap! It’s usually always a wonderful family event. Especially in comic shops in the States where things can sometimes be even more intense and awesome (writers/artists/cosplayers all unite at big shops). Hopefully next year you’ll be able to visit it! I too have both Fairyland (first volumes) and Saga (volume 5+) on my TBR. I might have to steal Trang’s copy of Saga, but don’t tell her. πŸ˜‰

3. Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

I hadn’t heard of Free Comic Book Day before this post but it seems like an amazing event, and you both certainly got some brilliant sounding comics from it as well! I hope you enjoy the books you hauled when you get around to reading them! πŸ˜€