MY RATING: ★★★
A lot of hype surrounded this book so I went in with a lot of expectations. Unfortunately it didn’t meet mine. I ended up giving it 3 stars, it was enjoyable but I had some problems with it. For the following reasons:
- The main character was annoying since the beginning and it didn’t help much when she miraculously has all the answers to her problems within seconds. You have to find something? Adds a character who shows you the way!
- The writing is way too weird. I think this is something everyone has noticed. Don’t get me wrong I find it very cool that the author wanted to incorporate some associations between emotions and tastes, smells. But, the execution just seems odd to read. It impacts the reading experience for most of the time.
- Surprisingly, there were some nice plot twists here and there! I like how the author went beyond our comfort zone and add some spice on the plot. This fact makes me appreciate the book a little more.
- The magical aspect and concept were excellent. I think a lot could be done if you start with that foundation. I’d love to see the Caraval Games but writing under a darker theme and atmosphere. The author barely touches the essence of the magic. You may think oh that’s because it’s the 1st book in a series. Even an introduction to the world building should include some basic knowledge of how the magic works.
- Finally, that ending was very disappointing. I’m sorry but I’m so done with endings that feel like it was all a dream and nothing existed. Everything was a lie. That’s too easy, man.
- Oh and.. It’s nothing like The Night Circus.
I would recommend this book for people who love :
Magical games and great plot twist. However, I must warn you that the vibe feels kind of childish due to the writing.
I’d like to thank Raincoast for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
If you’re interested in the book anyway, we still have a very Caravally Giveaway going on 😀
That’s it for today 😀 As always I’m still traveling so please excuse the quick review 🙂
But here are some more pics from Singapore :