Books for Stranger Things fans

If you are a hardcore fan of Stranger Things like me, you would binge watch everything from Season 2 and then got stuck of having nothing to do after… But, luckily for us, there are books ! 😀 So here are some books that can delay your withdrawal symptom of  Stranger Things feels for a bit or for those of you who haven’t watched it yet, reading these books would be a nice way to prepare for it 😉

To start off, what is Stranger Things ?

cogmvk8

Netflix Tv Show. Setting : 1983. Event: A boy goes missing. A monster. Weird events happening. Dark things going on. Romance here and there. A waffle lover and X-Men mutant.

In order to choose which books will be included in this selection, here’s a list of themes that appeared on Stranger Things :

• Supernatural aspects ranging from monsters to creepy interdimensional stuff
  • Nostalgia (so anything from 60s to 90s)
  • A horror/suspense event
  • A bunch of kids in bikes

From that, I choose the books that have the same themes. So here we go!

Boy’s Life by Robert McCammon

6278121

The funny thing is I stumbled on this book in a random book sale beside my neighbourhood library. It was the most beautiful story I’ve ever read and It’s a book you will remember. If you like that 60’s vibe and a touch of magical realism,  some suspense and horror elements, this is for you.

Zephyr, Alabama, is an idyllic hometown for eleven-year-old Cory Mackenson—a place where monsters swim the river deep and friends are forever.

Paper Girls Vol.1 By Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang

This graphic novel screams Stranger Thing but all girls version!! I picked this up after my friend Brianna, who worked at Indigo, recommended this graphic novel to me and I loved it. It has the right kind of humor, beautiful artwork and that 90’s vibe.

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood.

The Best Weird Tales of Lovecraft

1335019

UHM HOLAA! I just HAVE TO INCLUDE LOVECRAFT when talking about Stranger Things and their interdimensional monsters right? That screams lovecraftian everywhere.

Originally written for the pulp magazines of the 1920s and 1930s, H. P. Lovecraft’s astonishing tales blend elements of horror, science fiction, and cosmology that are as powerful today as they were when first published.

House of Leaves by Mark Z.Danielewski

337907

One of the best suspense and thrillers I’ve read in my entire life!! Sometimes books are a reading experience, sometimes they are meant to leave something in you and this novel never leaves me  to be honest. It’s kind of creepy how its story stays with me after all these years. It fits with the suspense and dark supernatural elements of Stranger Things .

The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

IT by Stephen King

9781501175466_p0_v2_s550x406

The only book in the list that I haven’t read and I’m recommending it because I’ve watched the movie and I felt that Stranger Things vibe already! So of course, I had to put this on the list.

It was the children who saw – and felt – what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, IT lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each one’s deepest dread. Sometimes IT reached up, seizing, tearing, killing . . .

That’s it y’all 😀 Let me know which books would you add to the list 😉

trangsignature

Instagram– Facebook– Goodreads– Twitter

62 thoughts on “Books for Stranger Things fans

1. Annie says:

I was relentlessly trying to find ways to cope with stranger things addiction 😂 Then I FOUND YOUR POST. I WAS SO HAPPY. Thank you for giving us these alternatives 📚 Ordered Paper Girls and Lovecraft 🎉

2. By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff says:

I had this wicked migraine all bloody day Trang and didn’t finally get it under control until early this evening so my planned binge watch went out the window. I’ve been so excited about this I even did a post Thursday about signs that you may be obsessed with the series. Oh well. I did get to watch the first episode and thought it was awesome. Hopefully I can watch the rest tomorrow.

I think your list is absolutely spot on! And It definitely has that Stranger Things vibe going for it because of the group of misfit kid going up against the big evil monster. Well done!🤗

• Trang (Bookidote) says:

Omgad… I HAD A BIG MIGRAINE TOO 😭😭 I dont know why but I woke up and couldnt even walk without feeling like my head was tearing apart.. If you know what I mean 😞 Completely understand that you have to postpone this ! I hope you can watch the rest this week ❤️ Rest well too 🤗 Thank you for checking out the list ! I am even more grateful that you are commenting while on migraine 😭 SO MUCH LOVE ❤️

3. Captain's Quarters says:

Love this list! I had never heard about Boy’s Life but that sounds super fun and has been added to me ports for plunder list. The first mate and I binged half of season 2 last night and are watching the other half tonight. So very good. Arrrrr!
    x The Captain

4. ichabod2014ic says:

I got 3/4 of the way through ‘House of Leaves’. I quit reading it because it was too creepy!

I love ‘Stranger Things’ and cannot wait to see Season Two.

{Have you been watching ‘The Exorcist’? Season One was fantastic, and Season Two is even better!

Happy Halloween!
    ~Icky. 🙂

• Trang (Bookidote) says:

OMGAD 3/4 of House of Leaves!! YOU GOT SO FARRR NOO DONT quit 😂 The ending is.. quite something 🤔 Let me know if you get the chance to start the season 2 ! And noope I haven’t heard of The Exorcist 😱 What is it about exactly? (u know other than exorcism.. LOL )

• ichabod2014ic says:

You know what? Maybe I will go back and finish ‘House of Leaves’. Thanks, maybe I just needed a little encouragement.

‘The Exorcist’ is a continuation of the old movie from 1973. It is based on a novel by William Peter Blatty. I recommend it, and his book ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane’. Also, the movie adaptation is fantastic. I think they changed the title to something like ‘The Ninth Configuration’? Any-who, ‘The Exorcist’ Season One is about an exorcist priest that gets excommunicated, but he keeps pursuing his calling, which is exorcising demons. An idealistic young priest joins him. Season One features Gina Davis! There is also a fantastic arc. The arc carries over into Season Two. I love a good arc, and I think this show is clearly the best thing on television at this time. That is a bold statement, and I stand behind it.

Happy Halloween!
        ~Icky. 🙂

• Trang (Bookidote) says:

So sorry! I took some time to answer your comment BUT for a good cause ! 😂 So After you told me about I went and about searching everything Exorcist from the books to the movies. I bought the book and Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane are now on my shelves. I started watching the Season 1, I LOVE IT ❤️ Haven’t finished it yet hehe and YES if you need a sign to finish House Of Leaves, it is NOW 🔥 I’m very curious of what you think of the ending 🤔

5. Books, Vertigo and Tea says:

Brilliant list! I really want to read House of Leaves. Everything I have read about it appeals to me on multiple fronts. I should explore more Lovecraft, but put him down after my last encounter. Some of the racial commentary irked me (I know, I need to keep the time period in mind). I am sure I will revisit him at some point. Again, great post and perfect timing!

• Trang (Bookidote) says:

Woooh ❤️! House of Leaves is such an interesting book 😱 You should read it like… during daytime you know 😂 Yeu Lovecraft has defined the horror genre in his own way, I don’t always love his stories but he’s done and contributed a lot to the horror we know now 🤗

• Books, Vertigo and Tea says:

I will def make a point of picking of House of Leaves. Lovecraft will probably wait until I can put myself in the right mindset 😉 I know there is a lot to be appreciated, I just struggled with some of the “views” in the dated reads haha.

6. Tsuchaki says:

Ehhh !*0*~ Stranger Things is such a hit now I haven’t started the second season but I already added 3 of these on my Amazon cart ~ Not guilty hehe:] ~ Love your post ! I didn’t know about book blogging before ~ ^•^

withh love •~<3 Sent here from stranger things japan fanbase facebook

7. Watashi says:

私はこのポストが大好き!私ができるなら村上を追加しますが、それはバイブと一緒には行きません。

8. lunahrae says:

I actually picked up Paper Girls the other day, and thought the exact same thing! Although I haven’t read it yet, I flicked through the pages and completely got ST vibes! 😍