Why Do You Read?

Hi everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€

I donโ€™t know about you, but this is one question that easily comes to mind when I reflect upon my life. Reading has become an essential and inseparable part of me.

Sort of like breathing.

The mere idea of quitting it would simply kill me.

But why exactly do I do it?

escapism

Youโ€™ve probably heard this one before. Books are my ships to uncharted and epic universes. With the pressures of real life responsibilities and the mundanity of every day routines, these little things that you hold in the palm of your hands serve as a fantastic vessel to escape reality and embark on grand adventures.

Related image

entertainment

I doubt most of you would want to plow their way through a book if they didn’t enjoy it. Reading is a form of entertainment whether we like it or not. It offers us a variety of genres to choose from and an infinite pool of books to pick from. If you tend to pick up books, it’s cause you enjoy them in some way.

Image result for fun disney gif

stimulation

What is he talking about now? Listen. Thereโ€™s a reason why I havenโ€™t picked up an audiobook yet: I love the written word. The power of it and its arsenal of ways to manipulate the emotions of readers makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Every author has their own way of telling their story and just seeing the similarities and the differences between them offers me the opportunity to learn how to translate my own mind onto paper. The act of reading not only stimulates my mind, but also compels me to feel things, from love to hate. It’s just one of the most stimulating activities you can do out there.

Image result for mental stimulation gif

addiction

Weird one, right? Let me explain myself. Ever since I first read a book, I was blown away by the story that was told. I couldnโ€™t grasp the release that it gave me and craved for more of the good stuff. This brought me to a phase of abuse. I ate every kind of book that I could find and that remotely piqued my curiosity. Slowly but surely, I developed a tolerance and found it harder to get my hands on those divine books that would have me raving at their beauty. I kept on reading and chasing the dragonโ€”in other words, the book that can would make me feel even love for it than what I felt for my previous 5-star book. This vicious cycle highlighted my addiction. There is no way that I could just stop looking for the next big thing without going into withdrawal and then relapse. Yep. Thatโ€™s my life.

Image result for addiction gif

answers

This is my favourite reason of them all. It isnโ€™t one that I knew of before reading, but as I read more and more books, it just appeared and made me love reading even more. Itโ€™s simple really. Books give me answers to questions I didnโ€™t know I had. Through the stories by all those authors out there, we get to learn from the mistakes of their heroes and forge a better path for ourselves. Reading broadens your horizons and makes you wiser in the decisions you make in your own life. Isnโ€™t that wonderful?

Image result for clarity gif

Now your turn! Why do you read? What are you reasons to picking up a book and flipping through its pages? ๐Ÿ˜€ I want to hear them all!

Until next time,

lashaansignature

InstagramFacebookGoodreadsTwitter

82 thoughts on “Why Do You Read?

1. Bookstooge says:

Because I am an introvert and can’t stand crowds of people.
    The mindlessness of tv with its message that is the antithesis of everything I believe is not something I can dive into for hours on end day after day after day.
    Because I have words inside me that need to get out and talking about other words [books] seems like a natural fit.
    Escapism: The Hero’s Journey that allows me to keep on going through life.

Guess you got to look elsewhere for adventures as an introvert, right? ๐Ÿ™‚
      This TV bit reminded me of Fahrenheit 451 hahah
      Well, well.. That’s interesting. Some kind of projection, huh.. If I have “words” that need to get out, I prefer using sports (basket-ball) as my “punching bag”. Works wonders for me hahah
      Oh yes! The Hero’s Journey is honestly one of the best (it’s sort of easier for me to relate to that through shows/movies though) but journey’s that span over countless volumes are the best. You probably know all about that more than me though hahahha

2. Chizurue says:

Definitely an escapist here. But the stimulation part I agree! I still haven’t listened to my first audiobook too and I’m wondering if I should. And addiction too, definitely. Why else would my TBR be bursting to full LOL

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

You should try an audiobook just to see what the fuzz is all about. Honestly, I think audiobooks work best for non-fiction though. That’s one way to get through a couple more books ever year! ๐Ÿ˜› And maaaan, that is true! My TBR would be a perfect example of my addiction too.. Even my bookshelves are filled with books I have yet to read..:D

• Chizurue says:

I will be trying out an audiobook soon! But I think I’ll be sticking to the written words for now – which is definitely one reason for many mispronounced words to which an audiobook can definitely help me with ๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Chizurue says:

Reblogged this on Mnemosyne and commented:
    Definitely an ESCAPIST.
    “Books are my ships to uncharted and epic universes. With the pressures of real life responsibilities and the mundanity of every day routines, these little things that you hold in the palm of your hands serve as a fantastic vessel to escape reality and embark on grand adventures.”

4. Inge | The Belgian Reviewer says:

All of the reasons you listed.. and also happy endings. Most books end with a happy ending, be it the girl and the guy overcoming their problems and finally being together or the murderer finally captured by the police thanks to their brilliant investigation. When you don’t have much happiness in real life, you can at least find it in books ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Taylor says:

You honestly couldn’t have worded my answer better. I read to escape from reality and the duties that come with it. Audiobooks just don’t spark my imagination like books do and honestly they require more attention than I’m able to give. I also have a severe book addiction and that’s probably why I’m reading two books now and contemplating a third, all while thinking about the books I want to read next. You’re right about books offering answers to questions we didn’t even know we had. This is a great post!

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thank you so much, Taylor! This definitely made my day. ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree with audiobooks. I honestly always felt like they were sort of having someone read subtitles for you… No thank you! ๐Ÿ˜› Although I do have to admit that I think audiobooks would be fantastic for non-fiction. I’ve seen a couple readers do this and I think this would be something I’d try out some day in the future. And maaaaaan, reading multiple books is a curse and a blessing! I too am reading multiple books at the same time, but sometimes I tell myself how wonderful it would’ve been if I had just focused on one story at a time! Arggghhh, the struggle! Thank you again for stopping by! I appreciate that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love this post so much. I’m looking to escape, whenever I read a book, to try and embark on a new adventure, someplace far away, to just…forget the world for a while and live a whole new life in the pages of a book ๐Ÿ™‚
    Lovely post! xx

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

I appreciate the love, Marie!! โค Oh, I can totally understand your reasons. In fact, your love for contemporaries where there's a bunch of travelling is a testament of why you read! ๐Ÿ˜› There's nothing like going on an adventure! Thank you again!! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

I love this post Lashaan, and all your reasons too. I think the main reason I read is escapism, and thatโ€™s probably why I largely read fantasy books too. I just want to forget the real and unmagical world got a little with a story full of adventure. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Also now youโ€™ve mentioned it in your post I think addiction could apply to me too but Iโ€™ve never thought about it that way you know? I do think now youโ€™ve mentioned it I wonโ€™t be able to stop thinking of it that way though. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Either way I canโ€™t imagine my life without books, and I definitely canโ€™t imagine stopping reading anytime soon either.
    Great post. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thank you so much, Beth! Oh, I can definitely see that hahah I would’ve guessed escapism for you too. Your love for fantasy or even magical realism is soooo big! ๐Ÿ˜€
      Hahaha I’m glad to have brought your attention to our severe cases of addiction! Hard to deny it now, huh? ๐Ÿ˜›
      I can’t imagine you quitting reading either hahaha Thank you again, Beth! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Thatโ€™s all right, and yeah itโ€™s one of those things I feel most people I talk to in WordPress know, in my opinion why stay in the real world when you can live in a fantasy world through books. ๐Ÿ™‚
        There are worse things to be addicted to right?
        Thatโ€™s all right! ๐Ÿ˜€

8. Raven @ Dreamy Addictions says:

Love this post! I totally agree with everything you’ve listed! I mostly read for escapism and entertainment. I started reading books for entertainment but it soon became an addiction. I couldn’t live without books especially the fantasy/sci-fi books. Great Post! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. ljshouse2015 says:

I’m also an escapist -it’s both why I read and why I write. But I also like to learn new things, and I learn a lot of new stuff by reading – stuff like history, other non-fiction, and self-help. But also I occasionally learn something from fantasy and/or sci-fi.

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Ouuuh what type of stories do you write? Mystery? Fantasy? I totally agree with the learning part. I didn’t include it and sort of let it hidden under my “Answers” category, but I do love to learn new things. Especially as a researcher, the amount of scientific articles and non-fiction book related to criminology that I consume is insane! I love being up to date with all the greatest discoveries in my field. ๐Ÿ˜€ Yeh, I’ve come to discover that sci-fi has A LOT to teach us. Especially those classics out there.

10. Dani @ Perspective of a Writer says:

GAH LAASHAN, STELLAR TOPIC, STELLAR GIFS, STELLAR ANSWERS! ๐Ÿ˜ Seriously though love the answers one! I get into arguments ALL. THE. TIME. about how books give us answers! We donโ€™t just have to read non-fiction people…

I read because it was ingrained in me since I was a child… my mom would read to us every night, she let us pick books, there is this entire tradition around it… when youโ€™ve been reading since a babe itโ€™s the same as breathing to you!

Just to give a plug to audiobooks (which I donโ€™t like much actually) but writers are told to read their manuscripts out loud during their editing process… thereโ€™s a good reason for this as itโ€™s this entirely different sensory experience! I LOVE reading my own work out load and in fact have had incredible experiences with audio books (stinkingly bad and incredibly stellar)! You notice different things, etc!

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Hahahaah yayy! Thank you, Dani! I love the love!! โค No wayyyyy, how can people deny that! They've clearly read the wrong books or never finished one!!! ๐Ÿ˜› I've read so many books that teach me so much by the time I read the ending. It always stuns me what you can learn from the stories we're told!

Ahhh, yes! I've always had books in my hand as a kid, but I wasn't exactly told to read or even had bedtime stories and all of that good stuff you notice among Westerners. My mom would always bring me to the library though and I'd always leave the place with a book or 5 and enjoy going through them all. I was also greatly into mangas and the traditional comics (the ones like Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes). I know that any future mini-me's will be greatly immersed into the world of books for sure. ๐Ÿ˜€

Ha! Conspirator! You will not get me! Your audiobooks will not capture my soul! Just kidding! ๐Ÿ˜› I hear you about the editing process. I actually do that when I revise articles or projects I write up. It just makes me realize all the problems that much easier!

11. Drew @ The Tattooed Book Geek says:

Absolutely fantastic post! Do I sound sarcastic if I say I read because I enjoy it?! After all, if we didn’t enjoy it none of us would read.๐Ÿ˜‚

I agree with all your points but for me it’s mainly entertainment and escapism, can’t really get more escapist than reading fantasy!๐Ÿ˜‚

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thanks man! Oh, I hear you on that. Definitely a great reason to continue. I mean… a crack addict wouldn’t continue if it didn’t feel good every time they used, right? ๐Ÿ˜€

Sir… I would’ve been GREATLY surprised if escapism wasn’t among your top reasons for reading too. The man who dedicates his life to fantasy stories doesn’t do it for escapism? Blasphemous!! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. theorangutanlibrarian says:

What a wonderful post!! Beautifully written!! I completely agree that books are an escape from reality (and love the way you put it!!) Ah gosh I totally relate about the written word- itโ€™s not the same with audiobooks and itโ€™s the reason I canโ€™t ever get into them in the same way. And again- beautifully put!- โ€œ learn how to translate my own mind onto paperโ€- be still my beating heart!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ hehe I definitely feel like itโ€™s an addiction!!! And- โ€œBooks give me answers to questions I didnโ€™t know I hadโ€- YES! Ahh you just perfectly articulated why I love reading too!! This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ๐Ÿ˜€

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

You sure did make my day with this lovely comment!!! If my body knew how to blush, I’d say it is!! ๐Ÿ˜› Thank you soo much for your kind words, girl! And finaaaallly!!! Someone who doesn’t hold audiobooks high on a pedestal!!! Oh, yes, absolutely! It’s also one of the reasons why I put subtitles on all the movies I watch.. I just like to see how everything is written and all. ๐Ÿ˜› It’ll surely come in handy when I turn insane and need to write up internal dialogues onto paper or something!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Again, thank you so much for your super kind words!!!

• theorangutanlibrarian says:

hehehe aww you’re welcome!!! ๐Ÿ˜ŠYeah I always feel guilty about audiobooks, because so many people love them- but I’ve tried a few and end up switching off and missing loads!! Oh yes, I get that- I do that a lot! ๐Ÿ˜‰ hahaha you’re very welcome!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

The Great Charles, your kind words are greatly appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚ Reading is definitely a fine place to turn towards, if only people would look at it differently (and not something mandatory and only pertinent for school).

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thank you so much, Asia!! Yep, it’s definitely a blend of them all for me too. Nothing ever needs to be black and white. And that’s a nice question. I might just have to dedicate some time into pondering that question. So many reasons for that too!

13. Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Yes. 100% every word here. In particular, the ADDICTION. I love the analogy of chasing the dragon. That’s what it feels like, right? Because as we read more and more, our expectations grow and grow. Books which got 5 stars from me 5 years ago are somewhere between 3.5-4.5 now. As we grow and mature so do our tastes. So, what sates the hunger is different. It changes. It’s allusive.

I also read to LEARN. I recognize that I have a limited set of experiences. In order to help me understand the world around me, and the experiences of the “Other”, I need to immerse myself in their world. What better way than by reading? This is why I’m so happy that #OwnVoices is such a big deal. I want to read all the #OwnVoices books I can get my hands on!

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

I knowwww! I have a tendency to compare a lot of things in life with addiction, especially drug addicts because of my field of study and my thesis, but sometimes there’s nothing more accurate and true than that! I too have thought about that and believe that some of the first books I’ve read and said I ADORED, and gave 5 stars, could probably have their ratings dropped by a star or two. It’s why I love the idea of re-reading books after a couple of years.

Indeed! that new and rising trend is another reason why reading is so awesome. Through authors and their personal and unique experience in various parts of the world, their stories take such a personal and unique twist too! I got to admit that I haven’t explored enough of those because of “catching up” phases with “popular” books though, but whenever I incorporate a #OwnVoices story, I’m always pleased by the change of scenario!

Thank you so much for reading, Jackie! I appreciate that a lot!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Oooh. What are you studying? What is your thesis?

I don’t do a ton of re-reading, honestly. I should do more of it to see how my tastes and opinions have changed. That said, I also don’t want to lose the wonder of that first read, right? I know I might not love some of my all-time favorite books as much now, and that scares me! What will replace them?!?!

There are so many books to read and so little time– I don’t expect anyone, partciularly someone who is a blogger AND a student, to be reading every book that is published. Or even reading everything in a specific niche. What matter sis that we’re reading a variety of genres, authors, and styles. It keeps us learning. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

I completed a bachelor in Criminology and am currently on the verge of completing my master’s in it too. My thesis is about drug traffickers and criminal performance (in regards of their ability to stay away from prison and their ability to make money). ๐Ÿ˜› Fun stuff!

That is true! Can’t imagine if most of my past 5-stars ended up 4-stars and I weren’t able to identify myself by the 5 stars I’ve read! And it’s the whole “second read won’t ever top the first” thing that tortures me too. I do like being surprised by books, and, for example, reading a thriller with major plot twists would probably not have the same effect the next time I read it, especially if a huge part of the thrill is the twist!

Yep, yep! Got to pick the ones you want to read and always remember to read for yourself, to enjoy doing it!

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

That’s really cool– but your whole masters program would probably give me nightmares. This is one of the reasons I avoid thrillers. It freaks me out getting into those people’s heads. Good for you, though– someone has to figure out what is going on! What do you do with a masters in criminology?

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Since I’m on the research side of the field (opposite to the clinical one where criminologists might world with delinquents and criminals in order to help them out in any way possible), I can aim for all kinds of jobs that need analysts who work to prevent crimes and foresee patterns and what not. I could also aim for a teaching job or aim for a pure researcher job (the kind that types of scientific articles). It’s definitely not the most popular side of criminology since most of the graduates for the clinical side and aim to work in prisons, rehab centers, etc. And.. as surprising as it may seem, the ratio of girls-guys is pretty insane. As in… there’s ALWAYS around 95% women and 5% guys in this field!

14. LizScanlon says:

Great post, Lashaan! Just great, and I would agree with the points you made… they are pretty much the same for me… but the overarching theme? Why do I read? Because it’s something that fits into my life… I’m not a gamer, I don’t socialise in real life (like, at all. yikes!) and apart from busy work and housework, reading is the only thing that lets me feel human again- feet up, cup of brew (or whatever liquid poison I have decided on for the day ๐Ÿ˜› ) , warm house and just peace and quiet… can’t beat the downtime that reading comes with…

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Thank you, Liz!! That’s a nice point. I have the feeling that some people also don’t know how much of refuge books can be for them and their lifestyle. It might actually enlighten their days in ways they never imagined too. And man, you sure do draw up a peaceful and ideal life there! We can all agree that reading is just the best, huh? ๐Ÿ˜›

15. Evelina @ AvalinahsBooks says:

Totally like breathing, I agree ๐Ÿ˜€ in the end, I think it’s not just escapism and entertainment.. It’s like.. It’s just habit. It makes you comfortable. It’s just something you do, even on the days when you’re not particularly into reading.

And I really agree with the Answers one ๐Ÿ™‚ some answers to questions I didn’t know I had, some I was actively seeking an answer to.

Great discussion, Lashaan!

• Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Yep. We just do it so much now that it would seem too odd to not do it anymore. It’s a habit that RARELY disappoints us. Even the bad books are nice since they make you appreciate the great ones more, and also expand your horizon by seeing what exactly is “bad” for us. And as readers, that’s just nice. ๐Ÿ˜›

Thank you so much for reading, Evelina!! I appreciate it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

16. Anna @MyBookishDream says:

I don’t think I could ever quit reading. It’s something that’s essential to my life! โค I completely agree with all of your points. The main two reasons that I read are escapism and enjoyment, I just love getting lost in books and exploring new worlds and stories. ๐Ÿ˜€ Amazing post!!

17. Books, Vertigo and Tea says:

Fantastic post Lashaan! For many years reading has been my gateway to other worlds and an form of escapism. Now it is also a tool that I utilize to expand myself and knowledge. It is certainly addicting ๐Ÿ˜‰ I could not live without my books. I leave the house so very seldom. They have save my introverted life haha.

18. Zezee says:

Great post. I read for the same reasons and also to be comforted, which I guess could fall under escapism. I can’t see myself stopping reading for fun anytime soon or in the distant future and it really annoys me when peeps tell me I read too much.