Villains: Why I Love Them

I just noticed the other day how I always talk about the villains in a very exciting way in my reviews. That makes wonder, why do I love villains?! Why do WE love villains? Because admit it, they’re the the best of the worst.

1. They Satisfy My Darkest Needs

Okay hold on here. This sounds dirty but let me explain. The needs I’m talking about here is : power and control. The simple pleasure principle: to have what I want when I want it.  It’s what I called my most selfish desires . It’s pretty straightforward isn’t it? LOL But  I believe that’s in all our darkest compartment. Of course, we don’t act like that. We also have empathy and care for others.

giphy5

2.  The Moral Ambiguity

This reason right here is where I decide whether a villain is well made or just not worth my time. The more moral ambiguity the villain has to face, the more I am attached to him/her. It shows us human behaviours are more complex than it seemed. That’s why I always love a good backstory of the villain! We can see how they end up this way and why they react like that in certain situations. In the end, to be honest every time I read about their backstory, I would probably behave like that too.

giphy6

3. Excitation for the unknown

I am very guilty!! This is the same reason why I’m attracted to fcked up stories, psychological thrillers as well. It’s always exciting to learn about new things right? And villains are the best at it. Their behaviours and mindset are so different from the norms that I can’t help but be fascinated, disgusted and feared by them.

giphy7

4. Better and Smarter Villains = Better Heroes

The more villainous, smart and mischievous a villain is, the more I’m impressed by the heroes. It’s that simple. That’s why I can never be amazed with DC comics’ villains in movies lately. Because I know the heroes are good but they didn’t impress me in any way since the villains were so dull. It doesn’t show the hero’s fullest potential.

tumblr_mzz6cflplu1rzik3go1_500

5. Their aesthetic is cooler

Here. I said it. Everything just seems cooler and sexier with the villain’s aesthetic LOL. Dark, black, silver, red. Just the palette that I find powerful and entertaining. They always got the best line. Admit it, when you think about Star Wars, you root for Darth Vader and his music entrance 😉

Tell me are you rooting for villains too ? 😉 Who are your faves villains? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I’m also sorry for the lack of book reviews lately but I will be back at them soon enough 😀 I just need a lot of time when writing them so I have to postpone it. Thank you!

trangsignature

Instagram– Facebook– Goodreads– Twitter

1. Villains are the best!!!!! My favourite kind of villainy lies in antiheroes though. They’re sooooo complex, I love them. 🙂

2. Chizurue says:

Don’t judge a story by the hero, judge it through the eyes of the villain *insert evil laugh* There is definitely something to be admired in a villain especially when they are more complex than the hero. Moriarty and Maleficent so on point there! Awesome post Trang 🙂

3. onespeculiar says:

villains add a lot to the story! you’re absolutely right better villains better heroes! besides i really loved it when villains have a complex character and past. when authors write villains with such history and have different aspects where you can sympathise with them or understand them the story can never be dull! great post 3<

4. Love this xD #1 especially! Villains with well written backstories are the best!

5. Ahhh I love villains!! There’s just something about a good morally grey complex villain that just makes a story 100 times better. Tragic backstories are also a favourite trope of mine. Also that aesthetic is gorgeous 😍.

6. Love this post! 😂😍 Villains really do make or break a story!!

7. This is the best post ever! I love villains! I feel like the only difference between a Villain and a Hero is the way they go about achieving the main goal.

8. I never really thought about this before, but you make some really good points! Especially that a good villain makes a better hero! That is so true 🙂

9. I LOVE villains! More often than not they are the most fascinating characters in books, tv, and movies. Some of my favs are: Malificent, Ursula-Little Mermaid, Loki-the Thor and Avengers movies, Crowley, aka The King of Hell-Supernatural tv series, Hannibal Lecter, Moriarty-Sherlock Holmes.

10. witchofawoman says:

Reblogged this on A Witch of a Woman.

11. raistlin0903 says:

If there is one thing I like it is villains. I especially like bad guys (or girls), that are so good, that you don’t want them to die.
    Negan from the Walking Dead is a great example. I hate that guy, but I still don’t want to see him go. Darth Vader doesn’t even need an explanation lol 😂 And then there is my blogname sake Raistlin from the Dragonlance saga. Although to really call him a villain would maybe be a bit too harsh. Awesome post this one 😊

12. I love when there is a good backstory for villians! I get really invested in characters and love when I can feel compassion for villians and understand why they are the way they are! I love the excitement of the unknown as well!! I just loved your post Trang!!! I would have to say my favorite villians are Vader, Harley Quinn, and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy! I love Vader because of his story! I mean we get so invested in Anakin and don’t want him to go to the darkside!!!😭 Harley Quinn is just my kind of crazy! I love how she was a psychiatrist and turned to be crazy as hell! I love Sephiroth especially off of Final Fantasy 7! Not only is that hair awesome but he is badass!!! Great post Trang!!! I just love it!!!

13. Reblogged this on Touch My Spine Book Reviews and commented:
    I’m sharing this awesome post of Trang’s because this post is just so awesome! Who doesn’t just love a good villian! So my favorite villians are Vader, Harley Quinn and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7! This is just my top but I commented on her post why I loved these 3 but check out Trang’s amazing post because it is FANTASTIC just like HER!😗🤗💯What are your favorite villians and share some feedback on her page as well!🤗💯 You guys rock!😉

14. Bookstooge says:

Dang, now I’ve got the Empire theme stuck in my head. Thanks.

* marches off in lockstep *

15. I love villains! Who would you say is your favorite villain?

16. Oh I love villains so much, sometimes more than the heroes just because there always seems to be something more motivating them you know? Like the heroes want to save everyone but the villains just have much more complex motives I want to delve into. 🙂
    Also I love antiheroes more than straight up heroes and villains. You can’t beat an antihero in my opinion! 😀
    Great post Trang. 🙂 ❤

17. My favourite villain is Murdoc from the original MacGyver series. Not a book but still my fave.

18. I like the bad guy in the first Highlander movie. 🙂

Great post, Trang! Luv a good bad guy.

19. So very true!! And we are all guilty of these. Without villains, there would be no conflict (aside from some others) but without conflict no excitement for the plot!! I am definitely in the same boat as you.
    Loved this post! ❤

Oh I love this post! I never thought I’d like villains, well… we’re not supposed to like them, are we?! Yet, I’m finding out that I love more and more villains, especially when they have strong and developed backstories to help me understand why and how they became that way. It’s just so cool ahah 😛

21. Love this post! I love Morally Complex Villains! My favorite’s are Darkling from Grisha Trilogy and also Maleficient, Loki, Harley Quinn and Sephiroth(from FFVII).

22. I always love Villains more than heroes, they have the capability for a lot more depth and the whole will they do the most horrible thing or are they more antihero? XD Also all the smart villain does really make the hero shine too and add more spice I mean will the hero stick by there morals if it means not stopping the bad guy. Great post Trang ❤

23. Yep fascinated by the dark side too. I can’t think of any villain now but I definitely like their depth and discovering the way their mind works. Great post!

24. Haha, your darkest needs 😉 It is ok, we all have them! But seriously on no. 4 and Moriarty. I love him.. yep and not ashamed of it. Brilliant and clever villains are the best! Because then it becomes about so much more than just the action! This was a really fun post. I swear you are a wiz with gifs and graphics ❤

25. TOTALLY AGREE TRANG!! Better and Smarter Villains = Better Heroes … that is such the truth… I’m pretty sick of the weak villains too… There’s no contest if one is softer than the other… And TOO TRUE about villain aesthetics! They are the BEST and I love that darth vader aesthetic! ❤ Super cool post…

26. Yes, I completely agree! Villains are so fascinating to read about – especially villain origin stories. They’re all so complex and multi-layered, which is a nice contrast to the sometimes one-dimensional hero. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ❤

27. Villans are so much sexier/cooler than good guys!! I know gurl, i was just thinking the same thing the other day. I mean maybe im evil by nature or smth. But i find myself making excuses for them for the way they are hahahaha😂😂😂

28. Okay I commented on you post and my comment just vanished 😂

29. Siobhan says:

I definitely agree that their aesthetic is cooler. They get to wear black leather and have the coolest hairstyles!

30. I agree about smarter villains making better heroes, absolutely 🙂
    Nice post! *marks down for sharing on Sunday post*

31. When I saw Spiderman Homecoming, I actually liked Michael Keaton’s villainous character better than Spiderman whose high pitched voice annoyed me.

32. healed1337 says:

There are a lot of cases where a villain can make or break a story. What’s the point in having a hero if they don’t have a challenging villain to overcome?

33. I absolutely LOVE morally ambiguous villains (or really any morally ambiguous character). It just makes their story so much more interesting and complex. And I completely agree with you about the aesthetic – villains just have much better aesthetics, haha.