I was lucky enough to be invited to Love, Simon Premiere on February 9, 2018 in Montreal! Big thank you to Harper Collins for having me at the event 🙂
This movie has the most ordinary plot ever with some of the most ordinary lives ever.
- Finally, we have a normal YA movie with no “cliques” and the superficial images of teenagers and thank god it’s about time. Finally a party where no one gets past first base or driving drunk. Yes people, teenagers can actually be responsible.
- The character development is amazing! It also helps that the acting was very strong, not only with the main character but all the side characters as well. What is very interesting is, not once, the character ever felt shame. He did feel sadness and frustration because he might lose someone he cherished, (spoiler from here) even when people found out, he reacted his best to make them understand that’s how he is.
- The humour was ON POINT. I laughed so many times and it as super smooth and not forced on us.
- The adults are not afraid to step in and help the teenagers. I think that’s one of strong aspects of this plot. So often, the adults are portrayed as distant and absent or totally not “getting” what teenagers feel. But to be honest, they will never know if the young ones are not opening to them or the adults don’t take time to ask questions. The parents figure in this movie really illustrates the support family can provide or the teacher assistant who’s not afraid to talk against the bullies.
- The emotional investment. OMG I CRIED SO MUCH. Some scenes were just too pure and too real. I could relate to them so much.
- Coming out as gay or lesbian or transgender is not an easy to do and it will not be easy until we all accept that everybody deserves love and has the choice to be whoever they want to be. This movie offers a very genuine, honest and cute way of showing the world that you stay true to yourself, even if you make some mistakes along the way, if you surround yourself with the right kind of people and keep doing your thang you will be much happier than trying to fit in.
- For the first time in a really long time, THEY FINALLY NAILED A YOUNG ADULT MOVIE!! LIKE Y’ALL, CAN THIS REALLY HAPPEN?!
What did you think of the movie? Let me know in the comments if you’re excited about this release! Have you read the book?