I’ve just finished my shares of YA recently and instead of bluntly bashed every single one of them on this blog, I have concocted a list for you that show the general tropes of YA that has been overly done or limit annoying.
- Emotional, toxic and abusive bad boys. When will we start to show the readers that Gentlemen exist and you don’t need to be loved by that boy who purposely acting like an asshole just so you could chase him.
- Love Triangles. Can we please stop with those? Is there anyone in real life who’s enjoying being in a love triangle? If you can’t decide, that means it wasn’t meant to be begin with. #stop wasting your time
- Insta-Loves. Probably the most unrealistic trope out there. You are telling me right now that you’ll meet a guy and ready to turn him into your prince charming and marry him after 24 hours spending with him? Better wake up. The reality is people have difficulty to trust one another to start with. Even less falling in love right away.
- “She’s such a bad-ass female protagonist because she is into.. ARCHERY” Oh my god. I swear, if I read another YA book that the female character has an exceptional talent in archery I’m going to throw it out my window LOL
- Also, the “I’m stuck in a castle and oh misery I Have to live a fancy life in order to survive”. Okay princess, you are suffering, we all get it. In the same tone, any time she learns she’s secretly royalty.
What else would you add on this list?